Facebook’s Open Graph Protocol
Facebook’s Open Graphic Protocol was designed to integrate your company web pages that represent real-word objects such as restaurants, products or famous people into the Facebook content stream. It is not designed to support transactions, rather its value is getting your products associated with Facebook user profiles, and having them show up in news feeds, user profiles and search results. Once a consumer “Likes” your open graph enabled page you have the option to publish updates to them.
Turning your company page into an Open Graph Object is straight forward and requires:
- Using the open graph protocol tags to mark up a webpage.
- Installing the Like Button on the page.
Open Graph Meta Tags
The first six Open Graph tags (OG) are required, the last is optional – but, it does not make sense to not use the Description tag.
- OG:Title – (i.e. Your Company Name)
- OG:Type – (i.e. Restaurant)
- OG:Image – (i.e. YourCompany.com/Lexington-eBusiness-Consulting-Logo.jpg)
- OG:URL – (i.e. YourCompany.com/Lexington-eBusiness-Consulting-SEO/)
- OG:Site_name – (i.e. Name of webpage)
- OG:Admins – (i.e. List of user ID’s who maintain the page)
- OG:Description – (i.e. One hour free consulting)
There are close to 40 Open Graph Meta Tag Types supported. See this page for a complete listing of object types that describe people, places, things and products.
There are a number of other Open Graph Meta Tags that you will find useful – these are Location and Contact Information tags:
Bottom line – start marking up those important pages from your website so they can be circulated within the Facebook platform.
Find Out More
To find out more about optimizing content for Facebook and other social media platforms send me an email at Mark@MSprague.com or call me now at 781-862-3126.
About Lexington eBusiness Consulting
Providing comprehensive social media consulting services to the Boston Community
Mark Sprague’s 25 years of product development experience which includes expertise in Search Engines, Information Products, SEO platforms and Social Networking applications provide in-depth expertise to help you refine products and services, and improve your web sites performance by:
- Developing a superior data-driven SEO strategy for your website.
- Understanding your customers’ search behavior and normalizing it to your content strategy.
- Understanding how search engine technology practically impacts SEO and content strategies.
- Understanding how search technology impacts content in a social networking environment.
- Developing a superior user experience based on sound information architecture, usability and coding standards.
Lexington eBusiness Consulting
Mark Sprague, CEO
580 Lowell Street
Lexington, MA 02420