Mobile SEO and Transcoding
74% of searches that have local intent originate on hand-held devices…
Transcoding web pages are the process by which search engines optimize a non-mobile website for a more uniform presentation to consumers on mobile devices. The first step in transcoding is detecting the type of cell phone the searcher is using, so Google can reformat your content for that particular screen format. This includes resizing images and maps to minimize horizontal scrolling, for example.
Transcoding theoretically improves the user’s experience, but it does have potential problems.
- Your website’s color schema is removed.
- The problem with these optimized versions of your webpage is that they are hosted on a Google sub-domain.
- If the mobilized version is hosted on Google’s platform, you do not get any SEO value from this practice.
- File names and URLs can be shortened, which can dilute your SEO footprint.
This technique is also used by mobile translation and optimization platforms that translate your website for a fee. You may find the same problems with these paid services.
Note: iPhone content does not get trans-coded, only cell phones that do not have operating systems, or enough memory to execute CSS.
Best practices: The fact that search engines will freely modify your website should be motivation enough to develop an optimized version for mobile consumption. If you do not develop a mobile version of your website you run the risk of having Google and Bing transcode your website for mobile presentation. This can result in a very poor user experience, and you as the website owner get zero SEO value from the transcoded website since it is hosted on a Google sub-domain.
If you would like to find out more about Mobile SEO issues that impact search results, send me an email at Mark@MSprague.com or call me now at 781-862-3126.
About Lexington eBusiness Consulting
Providing comprehensive Mobile SEO services to the Boston community…
Mark Sprague’s 25 years of product development experience, which includes expertise in Search Engines, Large-Scale Information Products, SEO platforms and Social Networking applications provide in-depth expertise to help you refine products and services, and improve your search engine marketing and websites performance by:
- Developing a superior data-driven SEO strategy for your website.
- Understanding your customers’ search behavior and normalizing it to your content strategy.
- Understanding how search engine technology practically impacts SEO and content strategies.
- Understanding how search technology impacts content in a social networking environment.
- Developing a superior user experience based on sound information architecture, usability and coding standards.
Lexington eBusiness Consulting
Mark Sprague, CEO
580 Lowell Street
Lexington, MA 02420