SEO and Compound Words
Are Compound Words found in your company or product names?
When it comes to compound words consumers will not follow the rules of grammar when they search for products and services that you are selling. Below is a list of common compound words that start with the letter P. You will notice that the fourth item is paperweight.
What if you are an artist who creates and sells interesting one-of-a-kind paperweights to the public. What would your strategy be when you are dealing with these compound terms? Consider the following search data:
- Paperweight: 110K searches a month.
- Paper Weight: 165K searches a month.
Though paperweight is the preferred spelling, consumers consistently break the word into two separate terms. Consumers understand that the two spelling are the same concept, but search engines do not have this kind of discriminating power. To make matters worse, consider this phrase; “I need a paper weight of 35 pounds for my printed presentation.” This text clearly contains an exact match for the search term, but it’s off topic.
You may be motivated to target the two-word phrase over the single word because it has more traffic. This may work, but you should test both versions to see how they convert. The important thing to remember is that anytime a compound word is part of your company name, taglines, product names, title tag, description tag and PPC ads that a level of ambiguity is introduced into the consumer search process.
Compound Keywords for the Letter P
To find out more about improving your websites performance and other SEO Topics give me a call now at: 781-862-3126, or send me a note: Mark@MSprague.com
About Lexington eBusiness Consulting
Providing comprehensive SEO services to the Boston community…
Mark Sprague’s 25 years of product development experience, which includes expertise in Search Engines, Information Products, SEO platforms and Social Networking applications provide in-depth expertise to help you refine products and services, and improve your search engine marketing and websites performance by:
- Developing a superior data-driven SEO strategy for your website.
- Understanding your customers’ search behavior and normalizing it to your content strategy.
- Understanding how search engine technology practically impacts SEO and content strategies.
- Understanding how search technology impacts content in a social networking environment.
- Developing a superior user experience based on sound information architecture, usability and coding standards.
Lexington eBusiness Consulting
Mark Sprague, CEO
580 Lowell Street
Lexington, MA 02420