SEO Opportunity in File Formats
Search Engines have the ability to index just about any file format available. Google, for example, will continue to add new file formats as they become widely available as website content in the future. These file formats are important because they afford you the option to add legacy rich content to your website that you had not considered in the past. Those research reports, source code, market presentations and graphics generated over the life of your company could present you with content opportunities. If, for example, you have a lot of valuable legacy PostScript content, it would be worth thinking about if it could provide value to your existing website.
The following are common formats that Google indexes.
- Google Earth Maps (.KML, .KMZ is zipped version KML)
- Microsoft Excel (.XLS, .XLSX)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.PPT, .PPTX)
- Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
- Rich Text Format (.RTF, .WRI)
Open Source Software
- OpenOffice presentation (.ODP)
- OpenOffice spreadsheet (.ODS)
- OpenOffice text (.ODT)
- GPS eXchange Format (.GPX)
- Hancom Hanword Document File Format (.HWP)
- Autodesk Design Web Format (.DWF)
- TeX/LaTeX Typesetting File Format (.TEX)
- Text Files (.TXT, .TEXT)
- Comma Separated Values – CSV
- XML Feeds / Documents (.XML)
- Scalable Vector Graphics Image Format (.SGV)
- Joint Photographic Experts Group – JPG
- Portable Network Graphics – PNG
- Basic source code (.BAS)
- C/C++ source code (.C, .CC, .CPP, .CXX, .H, .HPP)
- C# source code (.CS)
- Java source code (.JAVA)
- Perl source code (.PL)
- Python source code (.PY)
- Website HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
- Wireless Markup Language (.WML, .WAP)
Find Out More
If you are interested in finding out more about SEO and Search Technologies send me (Mark Sprague) an email at: Mark@MSprague.com, or call me now at: 781-862-3126
If you are interested in developing a custom SEO Roadmap for your business, please get in touch to discuss your needs.
About Lexington eBusiness Consulting
Providing comprehensive SEO services to the Boston community…
Mark Sprague’s 25 years of product development experience, which includes expertise in Search Engines, Information Products, SEO platforms and Social Networking applications provide in-depth expertise to help you refine products and services, and improve your search engine marketing and websites performance by:
- Developing a superior data-driven SEO strategy for your website.
Understanding your customers’ search behavior and normalizing it to your content strategy.
Understanding how search engine technology practically impacts SEO and content strategies.
Understanding how search technology impacts content in a social networking environment.
Developing a superior user experience based on sound information architecture, usability and coding standards.
Lexington eBusiness Consulting
Mark Sprague, CEO
580 Lowell Street
Lexington, MA 02420